Monday, November 17, 2008

White Cotton Sheets, Garage Sale & Lucy

White cotton sheets sprawled on a concrete driveway, with an array of items placed on top, created a colorful display when I arrived to help a friend with a garage sale, last weekend.
At least a
hundred people stopped by on this glorious day, next to a group of Sedona's magnificent red rocks.

As a keen observer & a bit intuitive, each person revealed a short story of his or her life in a brief moment of time. I'd like to share one story, okay…my story. I never learned her real name.

Lucy, a short, gray haired lady, wearing a full-length black wool coat, limped up the steep incline with hesitation. She glanced up a couple of times to see if anyone watched her slow approach. At the first group of items, she stooped down to gaze at a framed painting of a passenger ship bucking against high waves. In the image, a small craft approached perhaps to steer the vessel away from jagged rocks beneath the ocean's surface.

I noticed Lucy wrench. Had she lost someone at sea, perhaps a father, a child or a friend?

She shuffled inside the garage, stopping at different tables exhibiting jewelry, clothing, books & more. After fifteen minutes or so, she selected a small, blue & green trivet & brought it to me.

"For my daughter. She likes things like this."

I asked her if she lived nearby.

Lucy's gazed up at me. "No. Visiting from Massachusetts. Like to move here, but my husband & I are too old to do that."

"Anybody can do anything," I said.

"Not me."

I placed the trivet into a plastic sack & handed it to her.

"Fraid all I'm going to do is . . . just die." Lucy hobbled down the driveway.

Grabbing my crutch, I sidled up beside her. "Hey, don't give up on life now. Okay."

Her bright green eyes sparkled in the late afternoon sun. "How much is a house in this neighborhood?" she asked.

As I gave her estimates, she smiled at me. "Might be able to do that."

"Why not?" I asked touching her shoulder.

Lucy turned, but I heard her say as she shuffled away. "Yeah, why not?"

# # #

The stories that many of the shoppers & others reveal to me everyday, real or not, swirl in my mind. At times, I wished they'd go away, but I know they have helped me survive traumatic events in my life. Today, I embrace them. They're part of me.


No comments: